As part of a month-long challenge to blog daily along with a group of pretty rocking women, I am responding to prompts from #reverbbroads11. Today’s prompt: List 10 things you would never do. (from Katrina, http://katrinatripled.blogspot.com/)
In trying to live up to my #oneword2011 of Next. I intended for 2011 to be a year of next steps, new adventures, and possibilities (which it was!). However, I thought I would offer a list of things that will never be next for me.
I will never…
1. Take the GRE again. I took my first GRE before my Masters. My scores expired before I applied to my PhD, so I had to take it again. It’s hazing…for graduate school.
2. Have an epidural again. This is not to say that I don’t agree with their use during childbirth. In fact, there are some days I wish I could have another one without being in the throes of delivery. But I will never have one again because I will never…
3. Have to endure childbirth again. There is something incredibly liberating about knowing you have all the children you were hoping for. (Given the frequent occurrence of twins on my mom’s side, I was thankful I didn’t have more family than I was hoping for.)
4. Take a required course again. I’m ABD, which means ALL BUT DONE, which means I have completed my coursework, which means any course I choose to take from here on is because I have always wanted to take an Anthropology course or always wanted to learn more about Italian cooking.
5. Be ashamed to call myself a techie. I have always loved gadgets, and I have been more willing to jump into new technologies (albeit rarely a first adopter). However, I doubt I will ever be a Mac convert.
6. Consider a turn of the century home as solely charming. When you take down the drywall to replace a window and realize the window wasn’t even framed in, you start wondering if the hardwoods floors and oak trim were worth it. Don’t even get me started on the boiler. I would love to say I wouldn’t buy an old home again, but who am I kidding?
7. Take my closet for granted. I have two girls. They may only be playing with my shoes today, but it isn’t too long before it’s my clothes. Perhaps I will be considered the Uncool Mom, and I won’t have to worry about it. As long as they leave my Chucks alone…
8. Watch an entire episode of The Simpsons. I never have, so why start now.
9. Get my ears pierced again. I’ve done it twice and let them close up both times. Let’s be honest – I don’t like things hanging from my ears, and I suck at taking care of the holes.
10. Get plastic surgery. First of all, I don’t want to be plastic (as the name implies). Second, I have worked damn hard at laughing to get these crow’s feet, and I’m taking them with me.